Saturday, March 23, 2013

Schooling People on Cash

For those of you who don't know your blogger is a bullion dealer, amongst other business endeavours. On Friday I was selling bullion to a male client, mid 30's who I subsequently learnt had a supervisory position at his employer's company, so not a "dumb" or very young person. I asked him how he was going to pay for his purchase and he responded "cash". So I went about writing up his invoice for the purchase and when I presented the invoice to him to check and pay he handed me his plastic EFTPOS card (debit). I responded "Oh I thought you said you were paying cash sir?" His response stunned me (and unlike Norwegian blue parrots I don't stun easily). He said "Oh cash and EFTPOS are the same to me".

I started walking towards the ETPOS terminal with my client's card in my hand shaking my head thinking "gee I bet Cypriots don't think cash and EFTPOS are the same thing anymore." As the initial stunning wore off I felt I could not let such a comment stand and I started waving his plastic card at him saying "This is not cash! this a just bloody piece of plastic linked to a hard drive somewhere where a metal disc is spinning at 10,000 RPM and has part of its surface magnetically charged with positive and negative states!" "Cash is something that you can rub between your fingers, put in your pocket and buy stuff with when the banks are all god damn closed!" (and I wonder why I upset some people). His response was "Oh".

So this is how warped the world has become post the Cypriot banking crisis, someone like me, of all people, schooling clients on the merits of physical cash whilst selling them real money - silver. It is just wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Stunned. Completely stunned!! My kids as young as nine know the value of real money, aka physical bullion, and this twerp doesn't. LOL, PMSL.

    ReplyDelete