Sunday, August 5, 2012

Olympic Gold Medals, are they worth the extra effort?


Examining the dismal Gold medal tally of Australia so far it seems that the gold medals are not really worth the extra effort. Looking at a breakdown of the values of each medal it is hardly surprising.

The Aussie Dollar value of the medals: 


Gold medal including the 92.5% Silver and base metal copper is $618.66


Silver medal price including base metal copper is $326.07


Bronze medal's base metals value is $2.66

3 comments:

  1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if an American wins a medal they have to pay tax on it when they get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't think so. Would it be a Capital Gain and hence taxed at the US rate of 14% (I think) resulting in a tax bill of about US$90?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I heard the Americans have to pay tax for the medals on the breakfast show with Koch. It wouldnt surprise me if they have to pay tax, look what happened to Joe Louis on Freedom to Facism.

    ReplyDelete